Sunday, February 13

Weekend getaway

Although this is Mom's site, this is Dad writing. I took half a day vacation on Friday and Mom and I went up to Midland to attend a concert performance by The 5 Browns. Here's their website for those who may not have heard about them: http://www.the5browns.com/. They are five young members of the Church who attended Juilliard music school together; the first family admitted simultaneously and graduated together. They have been performing since and have been featured on a number of TV shows including "60 Minutes." The concert was amazing! They performed a few numbers as a group; all five playing together. Two of the girls performed a couple of numbers together; each of the boys and one of the girls performed solo numbers. The five of them came out and signed autographs in the lobby for everyone who wanted to stay (I of course, who has a problem with idol worship, waited and had them sign my program; as well as the oldest boy signing my ticket -- he performed the Liszt Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 as a solo and was magnificent). All in all we had a very nice evening (which also included dinner, of course).
The next day we spent the morning driving around Midland and Bay City taking in all the sights. I am adding the picture of the Midland County Court House, a building way out of the ordinary; much different than any court house you have ever seen. The houses in downtown Bay City were also amazing; many old turn of the century mansions. We then ended up in Frankenmuth and enjoyed lunch at Zehnders and, unfortunately, bought some sweets at their bakery. (Now Mom is making me take the blueberry crumb cake to work so we won't have to eat it. I'm happy to oblige her because I don't need all those calories either. ) We had a wonderful time together just relaxing and being together.
As is our wont when they come up, we drove through the Midland Cemetery and found a real cool grave marker in the shape of a tree I will add. We also saw a neat pine tree separated into three large branches; I don't think I ever seen such pronounced branches in a pine tree before. Hope you enjoy the pictures.

1 comment:

Hillary said...

Fun times and pictures. I can't wait until Charlie and I can do weekend get-a-ways without the kids. Sounds so fun.