Monday, February 28

Sad news

Yesterday morning, before church, we found that one of our rabbits, May, was injured, pretty badly. We brought her and her sister in the house and put them under the heat lamp, hoping that May would improve, but she died this morning, early. The kids are pretty sad, but are handling it much better than I thought they would. To be honest, I expected a total melt down like they did when Princess Fluffy's kittens were killed. They haven't acted that way at all though, which is a good thing for me. It breaks my heart to have my kids so sad. We've decided to keep her body and bury her when we can dig a hole. I know it sounds gross, but I think it will help the kids have better closure. I'll do anything to help them get through this better. This is the part I hate about having pets!

4 comments:

Mom said...

That's too bad, but part of life. I know that doesn't make it any better, but it happens.

Kurt said...

Sorry to hear that. Do you know how she got hurt?

Jana said...

That is sad. Glad they're handling it well. By the way, May is a cute name.

Hillary said...

We don't know how she got hurt. All I could see wrong was that one of her eyeballs was gouged pretty badly. But I can't imagine that that would cause her demise. We think there was some brain damage going on too because she couldn't get up from laying on her side. I found her laying outside of her cage on the ground, twitching. So we think she may have hit her head when she fell out of the cage. We don't know why she was out though. Makayla (it's her chore to feed and water them) leaves the cage open because she can't open and shut it by herself but they have never tried to get out before. It's been left open for months now without any problems. We haven't told the kids that she was out of the cage though because we don't want Makayla to think it was her fault. We just told them she was hurt too badly to live and they've seemed to accept that without much questioning. We just keep telling them we don't know how she got hurt because we really don't know for sure. Charlie plans on putting a different kind of latch on the cage before we put the other one back in it so that Makayla can open and shut it more easily. Hopefully that will prevent anything from happening to the other bunny.