
Bottom row of bricks laid, and dirt filled behind. This row took the longest because I had to make sure the bricks were lined up and leveled correctly.

Second row of bricks laid, with dirt filled behind. The bricks have a little lip that sticks down in the back to help position them correctly on the row below, and to keep them from falling forward. So this row was quicker, because I just had to place the brick where the lip made it set right.

Third row laid, not filled. The top row needs to be filled by hand to make sure the flowers don't just get buried, so Mom and Dad are going to do that. This row was the quickest because I was getting the hang of it, and I didn't have to put fill dirt in. You can see that the ground slopes a bit, because the brick near the house in the bottom row is completely under the grass line, while the brick farthest from the house is completely exposed.

View of all three rows from the other direction. The wall is going to look great when it's finished. Plus, most, if not all, of the big pile of dirt on the patio will be used to fill behind the brick, so Mom and Dad will have their patio back!

Lastly, here's a cute picture of Mom holding Harvey, watching me work.
5 comments:
That is so very nice of you and the wall looks terrific! Is that how high it is going? Are there going to be any more layers? I hope not b/c I really like it so you can still see the flowers over the top. I can't wait to see it in person-I can't wait to see Harvey in person.
Kurt, you make me feel like a bad daughter because I can't be there to do fun things like that for Mom for Mother's Day. What a great idea you had though, to ask her what she needed. It does look good. Are you going to do the front of the patio too?
P.S. I think you meant "it" instead of "ti" in your post. Just thought I'd get my chance to correct you in there.
Yep, that's as high as it's going. Dad wanted it level with the patio, which was three bricks high on that side. Dad got the south wall up yesterday, although he says there's something weird about the corner which might have to be redone. I'll take some pictures and post them when we go over there for dinner tonight.
Thanks for the typo tip. I've corrected it.
You're welcome, Kurt. After all, what are big sisters for?
Post a Comment