Wednesday, February 13

WE DID IT!

This morning little Noah surprised me when I put him to nurse and HE ACTUALLY DID IT! We have been practicing these last couple of days and he would latch and suck more each time. So this morning, before I was about to pump I decided to have him try and nurse, not expecting anything-just a repeat of what had happened before. He was on and off, like usual, and then, BAM! he started to nurse and he stayed on for 8 minutes. YAHOO! I burped him and then tried to get him to nurse on the other side and he only stayed on that side for 2-3 minutes. I still had to feed him from the bottle because he didn't have enough from me, but I didn't mind because this means that we might have a future in breastfeeding. I just wanted to share that joy.
Also, thank you Heather and Kurt for the swaddler-I love it! I really love the velcroe bears. I don't know how much longer he'll get to use it because he is getting soo fat. The bottom bear bearly reaches the velcroe opposite side. We went to the doctor yesterday for his 2 week check-up and he is 9lbs 13 oz. He never lost weight after he was born. He is just huge! People who see him don't believe that he is only 2 weeks old. But the doctor says he looks great and that his weight gain is great. He's just getting heavy-especially in his carseat. As long as he's healthy, it's okay.

3 comments:

Hillary said...

Yeah! Keep trying. You just might win him over yet. He's growth reminds me of Merrit. He was such a little tub-o. We used to call him the Stay-Puff Marshmellow man and the Michelin Baby because he was so chubby and rollie-polie. Just for fun I looked up Merrit's records and at his two week appointment he was 10 lbs. 2 oz. Noah isn't that far off. And you're right, they do feel very heavy, especially in the car seat.

Heather said...

That is great, Kari. I hope he keeps it up for you. As for the swaddler, it will stretch out after he wears it for a couple nights. Harvey's barely fits him after I wash it but after a couple wears it is just fine. There is a larger size. We love ours, too, though he has to nap without it for daycare. We are trying to get him used to that and it has been a bit of a struggle but I think he'll be fine. I don't want to have to swaddle a two year old to get him to sleep!

Jana said...

I wish I would have had a swaddler, they seem rather handy. We used to swaddle Addie to put her to sleep, but stopped shortly after getting back from Christmas in Idaho. We didn't even think about it, I just think we slowly got out of the habit. She sleeps just fine, though, so it hasn't been a problem. I hope you don't have too difficult a time with Harvey.

Congrats, Kari! I hope the breastfeeding continues to go well!