Wednesday, February 6

Baby's First Bath

Last night, we gave Noah his first bath and he seemed to enjoy it-except when the water on the wash cloth was cold. He really likes having his hair washed- he likes having his head scratched. We did take some video, but we're having a hard time loading it onto this computer-I think I'll try to load it through a different computer later. Enjoy these pictures-he really is such a cutie.

This last picture is of Noah in the towel and slippers Kurt and Heather sent him. They were a big help-thank you.
So, yesterday, Noah was 1 week old. It is a little weird to me that he is only 1 week old-it feels like he has been here for so much longer. He is doing much better-with the jaundice that is. We went to the doctor yesterday for a well baby visit and she said that his skin color looked great and that the yellow in his eyes will go away soon. She said that the eyes are the last things to clear. Also, he has gained weight, instead of losing any. He weighed in yesterday at 9.2 lbs. Also, his umbilical cord remnants have fallen off. We just went to change his diaper on Monday and it was in his onsie-the doctor said it was okay. I have to admit that it's nice not have to worry about it anymore. And, he peed on the doctor-pretty hilarious.
Also yesterday I went to the OBGYN and found that I have mastitis in my left breast. I was given antibiotics and everything should be okay. Then after I saw my doctor we went and visited with a lactation consultant. It was awful. She was not very encouraging and we left there feeling like we were the worst parents in the world. She critized pretty much everything we did and she didn't really even show me how to breastfeed. It was a waste of time.
After we left the consultant, we went to a baby store and bought an electric pump. I was going to have to pump for the next month anyway to help get rid of the infection, and I've never been really excited to breastfeed. So we decided that I would just mostly pump and if I ever feel like breastfeeding, I could just go ahead and do it and we'll supplement with formula (thanks for suggesting WIC everyone, we're going to look into it). We feel pretty good about this and hope that it all works out.
Everything is going well, now. We are working into a routine-all we have left is to go to sleep sooner. But we love being parents and are just happy that he is doing well.

5 comments:

Jason said...

Well, I'm sorry that the lactation specialist was a nitwit. I'm sure that didn't help any. If I were you, I would call the hospital and complain. I can't stand people that make new parents feel stupid, like we don't feel that way already (at least I do about many things!). Grrr...

I'm sorry about mastitis, I hear it's awful and very painful. Ick. Just one more thing to round out your list. I am glad you have an electric pump, it will be nice to be able to give Noah breastmilk. Even though you may think it's more of a pain, it really is the best, and if he takes it with a bottle, that's great!

Jason said...

Haha, I guess I was signed in as Jason. Can you imagine Jason saying "I hear mastitis is awful?" Haha.

Jason said...

One more thing (really this time!) he is adorable. When I glanced at the pictures without reading who the post was from I thought it was Harvey for a second, but he is much too chubby to be Harvey! What cute cheeks!

Hillary said...

I'm glad to find out that that was you, Jana, signed on as Jason. I was reading it thinking to myself how sensitive and feminine he sounded.

Kari and Eric, I'm so glad you guys are enjoying parenthood. It has more postives than negatives. I love being a parent too (O.K., most of the time). Hang in there through the tough times. They are worth it compared to the good times.

Heather said...

The pictures are adorable. I'm glad he seems to like his pacifier. Harvey never liked his and sometimes I think it would have really helped to calm him down. Sorry about the crappy lactation consultant experience but you guys are good parents and you'll figure out what is right for your family. Weird to think you're a family now instead of just a couple, huh?