Wednesday, February 21
House update
So, the new blog is a bit different and took me a little bit to get used to. Anyway, I promised an update, so here we go. Charlie and I decided after many prayers to withdraw our offer for the house in Maybee. When we went with the inspector to have the home inspected, we walked in and the kitchen ceiling was on the floor. The realtor selling the home didn't winterized it and the water pipes for the upstairs bathroom burst causing a lot of water damage. So, because we were there, the inspector inspected everything else that he could and told us that he thought we were looking at about $50,000 worth of work. That sounds high, because it is, but it's high because that is what we would pay if we hired out most of the work. We were planning on doing most of the work ourselves and knew that we would be paying a pretty penny for the updates and repairs. With the water pipes broken we couldn't qualify for a loan on the house because it wasn't livable (I mean, jeez, why would you need running water to live in a house anyway?). The realtor selling the house was pretty rude to our realtor when she called to tell her about the water pipes and our not being able to get a loan for the house. Their realtor, Jean, told our realtor, Brenda, that if we didn't do something that week that she'd re-list the house. Well, we couldn't really do anything so Charlie and I prayed about it and felt like it didn't matter if we bought this house or not. So we felt that logically we shouldn't. We told Brenda that we didn't want it and she formally withdrew the offer. Since then, Jean has left the company she was working for and the house has been reassigned to a different realtor. That realtor has been calling Brenda and asking whats been going on and why we haven't closed yet on this house. So she called me yesterday and wanted to know if we were sure we didn't want this house. She said that the plumbing was to be fixed by this Friday and we could walk back through the house if we wanted. I told her I'd talk to Charlie and he and I decided that we were sure. So I called her back lastnight and told her we were sure that we didn't want this house. Maybe, if it's still on the market in a couple of months we'll re-evaluate and offer a lower bid but for now we are going to look elsewhere. We are kind of in the position of Kurt and Heather and waiting and hoping that more houses will come on the market in the spring. We are also looking at the possiblity that Charlie may change jobs so we aren't sure if we should buy right now anyway since we aren't sure where Charlie will end up. He really doesn't like his job. It's really hard for him to split time between the two schools and the subjects he's teaching are not his favorite. We know that he could get a full time high school teaching job somewhere else but we don't know if that's the best thing for him. He has started coaching in Flat Rock, something he's always wanted to do and we aren't sure he'll be able to do that somewhere else. We're trying to weight the pros and cons and praying a lot. We want to make sure we do what the Lord wants us to. So I'll try to keep you guys posted as well as I can. Take care all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Wow! I didn't realize I had written a novel. Sorry about that!
Thanks for the update. I hope the job/house situation works out soon. Is there any possibility Charlie could work at the new South Lyon highschool? Isn't that opening soon? So, until things are figured out, are you going to keep living with Jocelyn?
Our realtor keeps telling us more houses will come on the market in the next month or two because people prefer to sell houses in the spring/summer. We actually toured a house in Ypsi township this morning that we are thinking about putting an offer on.
Well, to answer Jana, yes, Charlie and I have talked a lot about him applying at South Lyon for a job. The only problem is that we can't really afford to live very close, like within 45 minutes of South Lyon. Yes, we are going to stay with Jocelyn at least a little while longer. We are actually thinking about renting something closer to Charlie's job though. We've checked into some apartments, townhouses and homes. We kind of feel like we shouldn't get tied into buying right now with Charlie's choice of places of employment being so undecided.
To answer Heather, that sounds great for you guys about the new prospect of a house. I hope all goes well for you. Keep us posted. And we aren't giving up, we will keep looking too, especially as the spring/summer session draws closer.
Post a Comment