I got a call from a co-worker of mine that wasn't any different than a call I would get from a co-worker on any given day. Telling me about work, asking me questions. Then at the end of the conversation my co-worker threw in the little tid-bit that Herff Jones' photography division had been bought by LifeTouch.
The main reason this came as a shock to me is the fact that LifeTouch's quality is just plain worse than ours because they strive for efficiency whereas we strive for expressions and details (with a dabble of efficiency). This news also just came out of the blue. I would never have guessed that we were struggling (not that that's actually the reason, just conjecture).
Now I know you're reading this and thinking "What does this mean for you?" And to be frank, I haven't the slightest idea yet. My boss still has yet to give me any more information other than "It happened." There is a rumor that our mileage reimbursement will be almost half of what it is currently, which could honestly cut my total pay by about a quarter. But there is also the fact that LifeTouch has their prying little foot in a massive number of schools that have been in direct competition with us for the past few years (including almost the entire South Lyon school district).
So in the end this might be a good thing. Everyone in my district will get job offers, so I won't lose my job. Learning LifeTouch's system isn't going to be fun next year though...
3 comments:
Well, I for one am happy that LifeTouch is buying Herff Jones because it made you BLOG! :)
Ok, seriously now, I'm glad you won't lose your job. Maybe you'll actually get MORE work! Can you see yourself doing this permanently? You seem to like it. Are there any career opportunities with a job like this?
It is actually more likely that LifeTouch is buying Herff Jones because they are doing well, rather than because they are doing poorly. And it probably will end up being a good thing for you in the end, perhaps not for the customers because there will be less competition to keep prices down, but for you, it probably will be good.
It could definitely mean more work. LifeTouch is the largest yearbook picture company that I know of. There would be career opportunities if I was interested, but I don't really see this as a permanent job. It's more of a job just to live for a while and go to school.
Speaking of careers, I've pretty much decided that I want to go into teaching. Math preferably, at a high school level. I have a real passion for math and I love helping people learn what I know. Plus I don't ever give my friends answers when they ask me for help. I try to nudge them into the right mindset for figuring it out. So I think that'd be a good path for me to go down.
Post a Comment