Monday, April 25

Good Friday Trip

Dad and I went on the Good Friday Trip on Thursday and Good Friday. There is a road that used to be called the Chicago Road that was built to be the main road from Detroit to Chicago (it is now Michigan Ave or US-12). It goes through lots of small towns, so that is where I decided to go this year. There is a web site called Michigan Historical Markers, so I looked up the markers that are along that road and we stopped at a lot of them. We went to McCourtie Park in Somerset Township where a man who made a lot of money in the cement business, paid some artisans from Mexico to make 17 bridges which cross a stream. Each bridge is made of sculpted concrete, painstakingly carved to look like logs, planks and ropes. This is one of the bridges. The last picture is Dad standing by one of the 2 trees made this way, that are really chimneys for a building built into the hill.
This is one of the several historic houses that we stopped to look at. We saw a lot of very neat old houses.

The picture of the frog and the snow leopard were taken at the Binder Zoo in Battle Creek. It was so cold and rainy that day, that they only charged us half price for admission because most of the animals weren't out. We also went to the cemetery in Battle Creek and saw Sojourner Truth's grave, the mausoleum where the Posts are and the plot where the Kelloggs are.

4 comments:

K.E.N said...

jealous.

Kurt said...

Was the concrete really carved? I thought concrete had to be poured into a mold. Seems like it would be too crumbly to carve. Pretty cool either way.

Mom said...

The description that I gave of it came right out of the brochure that was at the park, so yes, it was carved.

Hillary said...

What a neat trip. It's so neat that you guys get to explore the state and find such fun places. I hope to check them all out some day myself. Glad you guys had fun.