Wednesday, January 20

Chapped hands

After suffering with chapped hands for over 50 years of life (as many of you guys know and now can appreciate), three or four years ago I finally figured out how to avoid them. Someone suggested using St. Ives Swiss Formula moisturizing lotion every night (there are a few different types and they all seem to work about the same; I am using the Vitamin E type right now). I begin when the weather first starts to turn cold and put it on every night before I go to bed. It has worked wonders. There has only been one time in the last three years, once last winter, when my hands chapped up enough to crack and bleed a little. I put on the lotion in extra measures for a couple of days and it had them back in good shape. I swear by this lotion. If you start early enough, before they start cracking, the lotion doesn't sting when it is applied. Take this for what it's worth; this regime works really great for me.

6 comments:

Jana said...

That's good to know! I still am having this problem, even down here in Memphis, and have noticed Addie's hands starting to chap a bit. I've been using the vaseline with socks whenever I feel the need, but that seems to only work for the day. I will pick up some St. Ives!

K.E.N said...

I've been using Aveeno baby lotion on Noah. It's pricey, but it it comes in a big bottle and this is the second year we've been using it and it WORKS WONDERS!

Hillary said...

I'll try anything. My poor kids hands chap so bad. I'm trying to convince them to put on lotion every time they wash their hands but they don't. They are only kids after all. A friend of mine uses A&D cream in the same way we used vaseline and socks as kids. She swears by that, but I haven't tried it yet. I wish I was more diligent about keeping lotion on my kids hands, but I just don't remember to remind them.

Heather said...

My family swears by Aquaphor. It is like a very thick petroleum jelly. We found out about it when my grandpa was in for chemo/radiation. The hospitals give it to the patients because the treatments really dry out their skin. I am one of the few lucky people in my family that doesn't have chapped hands but I use this all the time on my ankles and elbows when they get chapped. My mom's hands used to crack and bleed all the time because she is always putting her hands in the wash water at work to clean the tables. She swears by the Aquaphor now and says her hands don't bother her much at all.

Jana said...

Thanks for the Aquaphor that you sent us! We haven't opened it yet (we've had a week of 60 degree weather!) but will be sure to take it out when the chapped hands emerge again.

Dad said...

Another good thing is udder balm; what dairy farmers rub on their cows udders (I just remembered that as I read all your comments). My grandmother Hutchinson used it all the time and swore by it. I think you have to go to a farm store to buy it; although I think I saw it at Meijers or somewhere like that. The can is decorated like a holstein cow, as I remember; with black and white spots on it.