We've had an eventful week over here at the Hairs. On Tuesday Jason and I finally saw Wicked, my Christmas present. (We bought the tickets clear back in October!) It was AWESOME! I didn't realize the show was that funny! Galinda (later Glinda) was hilarious, it is definitely worth seeing.

Wednesday my vertigo started. Around lunch time I noticed if I moved too quickly the room would start spinning. After a long nap, it was worse. I had to call my friend to come over and take care of Addie because I couldn't walk. If I kept my head completely straight I was fine, but as soon as it moved in either direction, the room would whirl around. When I woke up in the middle of the night to feed Macie, it was worse. Just simply opening my eyes made the room turn. I threw up a couple times from nausea and went back to bed. I seemed to be a bit better in the morning, but it became increasingly worse again and I had another friend come over and take Addie for the day. I just layed on the couch the entire day with Macie. Friday started out well, but after lunch I became sick again from the spinning and finally went to the doctor.
I was told I have a problem with my inner ear that is not likely to go away soon. He said it would probably bother me for several days up to a few weeks, sometimes I'd feel decent and sometimes it would be incapacitating. After this initial episode, he told me it was very likely I'd have other episodes randomly for several years. Woowoo! He said there is a chance it may happen just this one time, so I'm really praying that is the case. Even now, although I'm feeling generally ok, nothing is completly still and it's tiring to try to adjust. I often am off balance when walking and am afraid to drive. Because I am nursing I can't use the only prescription drug there is, but he did say I might get some relief from dromamine (motion sickness medication).
Jason is going to give me a blessing later this afternoon and I would also appreciate your prayers. I'm worried about taking care of my two little girls alone during the day. Sometimes I can't carry Macie because I'm afraid I'll drop her. I hope this doesn't last long. Anyhow, thought you should know what's up with me. Vertigo stinks.

This is Adelyn on her birthday in the pretty dress Heather and Kurt sent her.
This is how Macie would look with long, dark hair. Haha!
3 comments:
Macie looked like a rockstar in that last picture. Awesome! I am very glad that you went to the doctor but not glad that you can't take the one prescription drug there is. I hope the motion sickness medicine works, though, that will help. Good luck and we will definitely pray for you since it seems to be completely debilitating. I hope this is a once in a lifetime thing. Yikes!
Jana, I'm so sorry to hear about your vertigo. When we decided to get pregnant I knew that I had a 50/50 chance of making my heart condition much worse than it was. I spent a lot of time thinking what it would be like to raise a child not knowing if I'd be able to stand up on any given day. Now that I have a running Harvey it is hard to imagine. I'm tearing up writing this. Back then I used to live day to day and I guess that's my only advise. I relished the days that were good days and tried to let go of the days that were bad when they were over. I'll send my prayers along that you are feeling better soon and that this is a one time occurrence.
I read an story once about someone with vertigo that was caused by small crystals in their ear chamber. Someone showed them how to roll their head so the crystals would go into some pocket in the inner ear chamber. They said it was why the vertigo is sometimes better after laying down. Not sure if that's helpful but thought I'd pass it along.
So is vertigo caused by something like a virus? I've never known anyone personally who had it so I'm just curious to know.
I've wanted to see Wicked since it was in Chicago. I'm glad to hear that it was so good, but it makes me want to see it even more. Didn't you, Heather, see it in Lansing? I guess I'll have to try to see it now.
Post a Comment