Monday, March 9

Labyrinth, and other Atlanta favorites

For the last few days Jason, Addie and I have been in Atlanta on vacation. SCO schedules their spring break around an annual optometry conference and pays students $100 to go, so we thought we'd take a few days to see what Atlanta had to offer.

The first day we went to Coke World, the big Coca-Cola museum. We saw tons of memorabilia, a 3D movie, the Coke Bear (featured here, he was awesome), and were able to taste 64 different kinds of Coke products from around the globe. My favorite was Aquious, a berryish water distributed in Tawaiian.
After Coke World we went to the Georgia Aquarium. It is the largest aquarium in the world and SPECTACULAR. We all enjoyed touching sting rays, seeing jellyfish and whale shark, and having our feet kill by the end of the day. I honestly would recommend the aquarium to anyone, it was fantastic.
Addie loved the fish and tried giving them hugs all afternoon.
On Saturday, while Jason went to the conference, I went with two of my friends to the Atlanta Zoo. It was a sorry zoo, let me tell you. The exhibits were small and cramped, half the animals were nowhere to be seen, but the lion cubs and panda bears were out playing and sort-of made up for it. Luckily we only had to pay $5 to get in, so it was worth it. Addie enjoyed the animals, and I enjoyed good company.
Infront of the lions. She started pushing this cute little boy when he got too close to her, so we had to hightail it out of there!
Saturday afternoon we went to the Center for Puppetry Arts because they were hosting a Jim Henson exhibit. It was a little museum, not much to see, but I was able to read all about the making of Labyrinth and The Dark Crystal, the Muppets and Sesame Street puppets, and learn about Jim Henson's life. I wasn't supposed to take any pictures, but I couldn't very well leave without one snapshot of a Labyrinth puppet! Here is my undercover, no flash, very dim, picture. Did you know that these guys that guard the entrance to the helping hands have names? They do! Ralph, Alph, Tim and Jim. Very fitting, as I had to call Jim to have him help me get the address to the museum. Thanks, Jim! Anyhow, it was fairly cool.
We enjoyed Atlanta and certainly loved having a vacation. Anytime that I get to spend with Jason is wonderful! He didn't study all week and I loved it! I can't wait until school is over! Only two more years...

5 comments:

Mom said...

I'm glad you got to go to Atlanta. I considered going to the Coca Cola Museum, but I don't think we'll have time, I want to see Stone Mountain instead. Look at all the places you've got to see because you've been in Memphis. I'm glad you're taking advantage of it!

Kurt said...

When we went to Disney World on our honeymoon there was a Coca-Cola exhibit where you could try different mixtures from around the world, and they were all disgusting. I think they only had about 10, though.

The aquarium sounds awesome. I like aquariums. Probably because they're usually inside and air conditioned. :)

K.E.N said...

I am happy that you got to read all the signs in the puppet museum-PHEW! I was worried people might have made you rush. And I think the illegal picture came out just fine-I can tell what it is. And I am jealous you went to the world's largest aquarium...that would be totally wicked!

Hillary said...

I love aquariums too. Maybe we'll gave to go to Atlanta and give that aquarium a try. I haven't been on vacation in about 2 years. I think we are just about due up. Well, O.K. I wasn't counting when we would come back to Michigan from Wisconsin. I guess those were vacations of a sort. I'd love to take the kids somewhere fun though, not that Mom's house isn't fun or anything, I'm talking about vacation destinations though. Anyway, I'm just going to be quiet now.

Dad said...

The picture of Addie hugging the fish is a classic! You ought to submit it to a picture contest somewhere.