Friday, January 23

Amusing Harvey Story

I called and checked in with our day care provider yesterday and she told me an amusing story I thought I'd share. Harvey approached the little boy closest to his age today and tried to get him to play. This little boy doesn't particularly like Harvey because my son will always take his toys and run away as fast as he can. So when he wouldn't play, Harvey tried a new approach and stuck his finger in the little boys mouth. Of course he chomped down and wouldn't let up until our day care providers pried his mouth open. Harvey cried and cried. Hopefully he's learned not only to not put his fingers in his friends' mouths but that it also hurts when he bites people. With being the youngest toddler, Harvey definitely thinks he is a much bigger boy than he is which makes life a challenge. When do you guys think it is appropriate to start time outs? Right now we just make Harvey sit down for 15 to 30 seconds when he's done something wrong. We praise him like crazy when he does good things but he's a whirlwind of energy and exploration.

Here's some pictures of Harvey we had taken Up North at Thanksgiving time.

4 comments:

K.E.N said...

I LOVE that story. Noah did the same thing once, and has been making that little boy pay ever since then. Supernanny says that timeouts aren't really effective until they are 2 and then you have then sit in timeout for as many minutes as they are old. I don't know, though.
By the way, my favorite of those pictures is the very first one. He makes a really cute newsboy.

Jana said...

That is a great story. I wish someone would push Addie down so she would learn not to do it to other kids! It's her favorite way to interact. Push and run away! Harvey's pictures are soo cute!

We do the same thing with Adelyn. We just make her sit there between 15 and 30 seconds. Most of the time she just laughs and smiles at us, so I'm sure she doesn't get it. I keep doing it, though, because I don't know WHEN she'll understand and I don't want to miss that window! It is frustrating, though.

Jana said...

And wow, Kurt, what a shirt!

Hillary said...

To tell you the truth I don't remember when we started to do time outs with our kids. I think it varied with each one though. I think the Supernanny's idea of 2 sounds pretty reasonable. I don't know that they would really understand before that. Toddlers really live in their own little world and don't really have a huge memory span. Don't be surprised if he sticks his fingers in someone else's mouth again. And don't count on him equating that someone else will be hurt if he bites them. Kids in general, no matter what age, have a really hard time empathizing for others. It's hard for them to project what they are feeling on someone else and think that maybe that person could feel the same way as they do. That takes a whole different part of the brain and I don't think they develope that talent until much later in life. That's why I've heard that it's pretty much pointless to make your kids say sorry when they've done something bad to someone else. They don't really understand the concept of "being sorry" I guess, so I've been told. I still make my kids say it though. It makes other people feel better when they hear it, even if my kids don't really know why they are saying it.

Anyway, I don't think it's wrong or bad for you to sit Harvey in time out now. I just don't know how much of it he actually understands. And Jana had a point too, you don't really know when he will actually understand either, so better to cover your bases.

That is a cute story. You should write it in his baby book or a journal to keep for his posterity.