Heather and I attended Hillary's Halloween party last Friday. Of course it was a costume party! That meant we had to come up with costumes, which I hadn't really planned on. So we headed out to a resale shop and a Salvation Army. Rummaging through the resale shop's costume section, we didn't really find anything that struck us. On the way out, Heather spotted a red and white striped, thigh length sweater and was inspired: Waldo! We tried to find a suitable hat, but didn't find one. I did find the perfect circular glasses, but she opted for the 60s style "cat glasses". (I think the rhinestones tipped scale.) So she named herself Waldina, and Waldo's girlfriend was born.
My costume took a bit more work. I didn't see anything at the resale shop or the Salvation Army that I was interested in. Then at work, an idea just hit me. I made the costume myself; built the frame out of PVC pipe, and wrapped it in polyester. I glued the fabric on with hot glue, which worked better than I expected, and was fun to use. A couple cheap felt sheets for the details, and some yellow spray paint.
This picture links to the flickr page where you can see the rest of the photos from the party. We had a great time playing Apples to Apples and snacking. I'm already gathering ideas for next year's costume.
4 comments:
Heather looks VAVAVOOM in that costume! You are looking good, Waldina!
I like your creativity, Kurt, especially the small details (hinges!), but don't understand why your face is yellow. Are you a window in the door?
Oh my goodness!! I cannot stop laughing...what an awesome costume!! Did Harvey go? Jana, Eric says that Kurt's face is the door knocker. Heather, you do look very FINE! Oh man, too funny!
Harvey didn't go to the party; it was for adults. Alexis watched him at Mom and Dad's.
Yes, my face is the knocker. And I put a small piece of wood behind the fabric so that it is actually a functioning knocker.
Aren't they so creative? I think I'll have to get creative for next year's party. I'd like to make this an annual event. I had so much fun.
Post a Comment