Friday, February 15

baby question

Do I really need to worry about "brushing" Addie's teeth with a baby toothbrush? I've read that I should, but will they really start decaying this young? I just don't want to buy a baby toothbrush.

3 comments:

Kurt said...

I haven't read anything about brushing baby teeth, so keep that in mind when I give this advice.

Probably the main reason to use a baby brush over a normal one is that I imagine the bristles would be softer. The bristles of a normal brush might annoy her, and maybe could irritate her gums. If you get one of those baby brushes that fits on the end of your finger, another advantage is that it would probably be much easier to do the actual brushing. You'd be able to feel with your finger where the brush is going and manipulate it better.

Just some thoughts.

Hillary said...

I didn't brush my kids' teeth until they had almost all of them in. They really don't eat a whole lot of stuff at Addie's age that should cause them to start to decay. They only thing you absolutely can't do is put her to bed with a bottle or sippie cup. That will start decaying the teeth. I wouldn't worry about it. My kids' teeth seem to be just fine, except Alexis, who seems to have super soft teeth that are prone to cavities. I think they would be that way even if I had started to brush her teeth before she was a year old.

Heather said...

I think the reason that people start brushing early is so that the baby associates as something that always happens when they wake up/before bed. We haven't started for Harvey and I'm not sure when we will. I don't think her teeth will rot though. I have crappy teeth like Alexis, Hillary. My parent's even paid to have my teeth "sealed" when I was in middle school and I had two cavities the next time I went to the dentist. I feel her pain for all the fillings and the fun dental future she has.