I've been telling you for years, and none of you would listen to me. Wal-mart puts the little store owners out of business, and now it's happened in South Lyon. The Lyon's Marketplace is closing it's doors this weekend. There was an article in the local paper about it, and this is what it says,
"Byron and Cami spent a lot of time trying to figure out a way to stay open, but in the end, the financial issues proved too much. Bryon cited Pfizer moving out of Ann Arbor, the opening of Buch's and a Super Wal-Mart as all contributers to the problem." And yet you continue to shop there. I just shake my head.
4 comments:
It's not a secret that Walmart puts little shops out of business. The question is, why does it happen? Because people are self-maximizing and little shops are less efficient. They have less merchandise variety, and often higher prices. Why go to a store where I only have a choice of one or two brands of, say, toothpaste, when I can go to one where I have a choice of ten? Plus, I can get my pictures developed while I shop, and maybe get a new shirt. Even if the customer service is worse, most people think more about the money and time saved than the aggravation.
If it had been a Meijer instead of a Walmart, would you have been so opposed? Lyon's Marketplace would almost certainly still have shut down. Big stores are popular because they can offer more than little stores. It's not evil, just capitalism.
You know, Kurt is right, but it doesn't make it any more pleasant. I really liked Lyon's Marketplace. The small shops certainly make for a more enjoyable shopping experience, but like he said, I'm definitely thinking more about the money right now. I have to. It's sad, but true.
I can't even remember where Lyon's Marketplace is. Anyway, I think it's sad that people have to loose their businesses. But I too agree with Kurt. I can't afford to shop at those smaller stores and pay higher prices just to help the little guys stay in business. I have to look out for the good of my family first, and that means I have to shop where I can get the things I need for the cheapest price. Besides, Mom, how ofter did you shop at the Lyon's Marketplace? Are you really going to miss it?
I am sad that they are closing because I liked them-they are nice people. It is sad that the smaller shops and the large shops can't co-exsist so that everyone is happy-those people who can afford to pay more and those who can't. I'm sorry mom that we all have to shop there, but maybe when we all are a little more established and have a little more money to spend we will gravitate towards the small business owners. I just hope that all those that work there are able to find work elsewhere. Too bad :(
Post a Comment