Sunday, August 26

We are sad at the Hicks' home

We had some bad news today. A stray cat that adopted our family had kittens at our house about 5 weeks ago. Her name is Princess Fluffy. Her kittens, all boys, were named Hissy, Thumbs, Shy, and Blacky. We took them all out to Charlie's parents' house on Wednesday before we left for our Wisconsin family trip. We felt like they would have a better life out on the farm. We left Meg there as well. When we went back to pick up Meg today we found out that two of the kittens had been killed. The dogs had done it. Charlie's parents don't know if it was Meg or their dog, Sadie. Of course it had to be the two favorite kittens, Hissy and Thumbs. To top it off, my kids had to watch Sadie chew on Hissy's dead body. Needless to say, they are all a bit traumatized (so am I to tell you the truth). Merrit came and got me and I went out and scared Sadie off and then helped the kids bury Hissy. We made a nice little grave for him. I feel awful, like it's my fault because we took them out there when maybe we should've left them here. I hope my kids will be able to get on O.K. soon. It breaks my heart to watch them be so sad.

Our trip wasn't all that great. We found out that the house we were trying to buy has been temporarily taken off the market. The brakes on our van went out so we had to repair them while we were there (that has its own miserable story itself). Charlie had to work two of the three days we were there and the room we stayed in wasn't as big as we thought it was going to be so we were all pretty squashed. It could've been a lot better, but I guess it could've been a lot worse too.

So because our house fell through, Charlie and I decided to rent for a little while until we find a house we want to buy. We thought it made more sense than trying to rush into buying a house that we aren't that happy with just so we can have a house. So Charlie will spend this next week looking for a place for us to rent. We are hoping he'll find one so we can pack when he comes home this weekend. Then hopefully we'll be able to move sometime next week. It will kind of happen in a whirl-wind, but it'll be nice to be living together, as a family. We'll probably just move the stuff we have in the house at first and not worry about the storage unit stuff until later. We hope that we enable us to move more quickly. Whatever happens, moving will not be fun, it never is!

Well, I hope all of you had a better Sunday than we did.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Oh man. Sounds like you've had a string of wompy days. And to top all of that off with a big move! I hope you're finding some sunshine in the storm. If you need any help, Kurt and I were thinking we could come over after work on Friday to help you pack up/break down. We're going to my family's cabin this weekend but we could stay over Friday and help out and head North at some point Saturday.

As Dory would say, "Just keep swimming."

Hillary said...

I was actually thinking you guys could come over for dinner, at the very least, on Friday. I'll give you a call and we can work out the details. I don't know how much work we will actually have to do. It all depends on if Charlie finds a place for us to rent or not.

Jana said...

I'm sorry to hear about all of that, one thing right after another. Hopefully once you're out in WI things will start falling into place. I wish we could come and help, but we're keeping you in our prayers.