The guy that posted this said that his great grandfather built this for his great grandmother as a jelly cupboard. I love the way it looks, it is a perfect height and I love the history.
Three weeks ago we started taking her apart (yes she has become like a family member ;) for a date night. We thought it would be a rather easy process, but it turned out to be a nightmare.
In stripping the paint we found a green layer of paint that was like elastic sludge...it was horrible and super hard to remove. But underneath on the side and on the inside of one of the doors we found writing that suggests that this was made out of an old crate-just whatever the guy had on hand. This says Wet Penna-we know that Penna can be an abbreviation for Pennsylvania, but can't find anything for the wet part. And the inside of the door says Bank Bros Allentown, PA...we think it's an old grocery store, I found vague references to it online but nothing concrete.
We both worker really hard....
And after stripping, sanding, 2 coats of poly, and 2 coats of green paint inside, we rehung the doors and put the hardware on last night.
I just love love love how it turned out. The poly has to cure for 72 before use so we can't bring it back inside until tomorrow night and I am just itching to get it in here (and get our garage back) so I can use it and look at it all day.
I have definitely caught the furniture refinishing bug...it was so fun to turn this piece into exactly what I wanted. Up next: our kitchen table. Can't wait!









5 comments:
Love it! Way to go getting it done.
Way to go! I've refinished several pieces of furniture and I have to say that it's not my favorite thing to do, but if you enjoy it, have at it.
I agree with Mom. I've done two easy things, and both of them took a LOOOOONG time because, I decided, I just don't raelly enjoy it. But I'm glad you do, and so does that piece, because it really does look great!
What do you think the holes are for in the doors? Just wondering. I love that you looked up the history of the wood. That is cool.
It looks so much better not painted. When I first saw the picture with the flowers painted on the front I thought that that was the finished product. I must admit I was a little disappointed, but when I realized that I was wrong, I was delighted. The way you refinished it is much better. I love the look of natural wood. Great job! P.S. I love how you wrote that you and Eric, both, worked really hard but that he is the only one in the pictures. I had to chuckled to myself. :)
If you notice, Hillary, I'm not in any of the pictures...and Eric hates having his picture taken.
Post a Comment