Sunday, May 22

New car and new patio

Heather's car finally decided to take its leave.


The front driver's side strut spring broke, puncturing the tire and breaking some internal pieces. Repair estimates from a couple places put the cost around $2000. That was more than we wanted to put into it, considering we were planning on replacing it within the next six months. So we moved those plans forward. Fortunately, Heather's family's Ford shop had a used Freestyle on the lot. And now we have a new car.


Heather's parents drove it down for us on Friday. At the moment, we're planning on finding a junk yard to take the old one. If you know anyone that could use it that can haul it away and repair it, let us know.

On Saturday, we spent 4½ hours doing this:



We did it all with a sledge hammer. If I had to do it again, I'd rent a jackhammer. Dave, Heather, and I are all kinds of sore. Also, if you know anyone that can use about 3 cubic yards of broken concrete, let me know.

We finished around lunch time and went to lunch at our new favorite diner, The Bomber. Then we decided to enjoy the beautiful weather, so we headed over to the Domino Farms petting farm.


The kids had a blast feeding the goats and sheep. There was a recently-shaved llama that looked ridiculous. A bit like a huge poodle, with tuffs of hair on its head, and around its feet. Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of that one.

This is an albino peacock that was acting a bit anxious.

Another one was sitting on a perch above.

I have no idea what this is, but it looked cool.

There was a family of geese down at the pond.

And some young chicks pecking about.

We didn't get to see any bison this time, but the long-horned cows were out. There were also a couple rare-breed donkeys that were as big as horses. I wished I'd snapped some pictures to give you the sense of scale, but just imagine really huge donkeys.

All in all, we had a very great day, enjoying the beautiful weather, the interesting animals, and the back-breaking labor.

6 comments:

K.E.N said...

Hey, I like your car...I'm glad we could make it so popular in our family. Ford should give us some money for three of our families all driving the same car. And are you going to put a deck in that space?

Hillary said...

I am starting to feel left out of the freestyle loop. Maybe I should get one so I can feel "in" the in club. I'm glad your weekend worked out so well, Kurt. I don't know that I've been to Domino Farms. We should check it out some time. So, we could use some of the concrete you broke up for our driveway. We should chat and figure out when and how we could get some.

Hillary said...

So what do you plan on doing with the patio area now anyway?

Kurt said...

Heather wants to turn the patio area into a big garden.

Also, Hillary, she says if you want the concrete, you need to come get it before she has it hauled away on Tuesday. :)

(Although if you tell me how much you want, I'm sure we can save some.)

Jana said...

I hope you're liking your new car, we love ours! Thanks for putting up some pictures, it's been a while since we've had real posts!

Hillary said...

Well, I guess I missed out on the concrete. I didn't read your reply until just now, Kurt. Oh well. I hope your garden works out well.