Friday, January 28

Summer Plans

Mom and I were talking the other day about the possible Hutchinson Campout and half-marathon adventure. She recommended doing it in June because of the weather, and it would probably be easier for us becasue Jason won't have his license until (most likely) July so we most likely won't have a job in June! Easy to take time off! I know Hillary was hoping for August because of Chelsea's baptism, but it will be hotter, and we'll have a new job by then and it will be hard to ask time off the second month after we start somewhere. Also, Heather will have a brand new baby and may not want to bring him/her camping. Sorry Chelsea and Hillary, but I vote for June.

Anyhow...there is a race in Charlevoix, MI on June 25th. That would be after school is out, so it might be perfect timing for the Hicks fam. Charlevoix is about 45 mintues from Petoskey, way up up north, near Heather's stomping ground. Another great thing about running this particular race is that it also offers a 10K and 5K. So...Kari? Kurt? Eric? Jim? Mom? Dad? If you're not up to doing the 13 miles, you could participate in a shorter race. You still have plenty of time to prepare! For info about the race, click here.

I know Kari said it might be tough to make it in June because of Eric. Sorry! Would you come alone with the kids? We probably just ought to pick a date and plan it, and then all try our hardest to make it. What say ye? Would that weekend work for y'all? Any other suggestions that may be better?

Oh, and I just realized, that is the same weekend as a special someone's birthday... :)

7 comments:

Heather said...

That works for us. My folks will be nearby for any emergency needs or a warm place to sleep if we get stuck in a down pour.

Hillary said...

I would need to know the time frame of the camp-out. Charlie and I are set to do the trek beginning on the 27th, and we will leave fairly early that morning. So are we thinking of camping through Sunday or just to Saturday night? We probably would go home Saturday night despite the plans of everyone else. We actually haven't even thought about what we are going to do with our kids while we are on trek, so that is something Charlie and I will have to sit down and think about too. So, other than the trek, that weekend would be fine for us too. I am sad that not more of you will be here for Chelsea's baptism, but that's O.K. I just thought I'd throw that out there for consideration.

K.E.N said...

I've talked to Eric's sister and they ARE coming either the first or second week in August, so August is a no go for sure. And June is the ONLY time we could make it, but it would HAVE to be the first or second week (the 6th-17th), and yes, I would be alone-it would be fine, Lucy should be okay. We will be leaving the third week of June for Vegas and staying out west until the second week in July.

Sorry to be so limited, but we haven't seen Eric's family for a long time and already told them a few months ago that we would be coming this summer. I am alright if you go ahead and plan it without me, I would be sad to miss it but I do understand that we just aren't very flexible this summer.

Hillary said...

I think I said it before, but my kids don't get out of school until June 15th. I don't know when Charlie's last day will be because his school district hasn't posted it yet, but I'm sure it will be a day or two after the kids get out of school. We could try to go camping the weekend after the kids are out of school so Kari could be there, depending on when Kari will need to be back to Missouri to leave for Vegas. So we could go from maybe June 16 (Thur) to the 18 (Sat)? Charlie would just have to join us when he was finished if he needed to. I don't know what that would mean for Jana and I running in a marathon, unless Jana and her family could stay until the marathon on the 25th.

K.E.N said...

We could be there that weekend and maybe stay until Sunday or Monday-we will probably be leaving for Vegas the Wednesday of that third week...so absolutely doable.

Hillary said...

So do we want to plan on that weekend? What does everyone else think?

Jana said...

That sounds good to me. I'd much rather plan it so more people can come, not necessarily for the race. It would be nice if htey coincided though, eh? We may be able to stay the week, depending (as always) on what we're doing with a job, residency, license, house, OUR LIVES. So frustrating.

Or we could look for a race elsewhere, maybe in a neighboring state, that is closer. I will start searching.