Tuesday, September 21

Cholinergic Urticaria

Kurt has plans to do a big picture post soon but I thought I'd put up a post in the mean time. I'm not sure if you've all seen them, but Harvey has had chronic hives this summer. They are big and scary and raised red welts on his skin though they don't seem to really bother him at all. We finally took him to the doctor yesterday and she told us he has Cholinergic Urticaria which is heat hives. She also thinks he might have pressure hives. Today, for the first time, Harvey told me his hives hurt and itched. I'm not 100% convinced he didn't just pick up from the doctor's visit that he should be telling us they itched but I gave him some Benedryl anyways and he didn't complain after that. It's crazy how many things there are out there that can affect your kids and how helpless you feel when they do. I feel physically ill when I touch Harvey when he has a fever. Motherhood is amazing and terrifying. Anyway, the doctor doesn't think it will be too much of an issue as long as he isn't uncomfortable. Now we just need to convince our day care lady not to send him home every time he has a break out.

So, that's my brief update. I'll leave the summer re-cap to Kurt. Also, for those in Michigan, Harvey's B-day Party is going to be October 23 at our house. It might be snug but I'm sure we'll have fun.

5 comments:

Mom said...

I'm glad you now have a medical name and explanation for it. Did the doctor say that he will always have it, or will he grow out of it? It seems odd that it would show up all of a sudden.

Hillary said...

Yeah, that was weird, and a little disconcerting when it happened at our house. Then it was gone almost just as fast. I also hope now that you have a medical opinion that your daycare lady will allow him to stay with the hives.

Hillary said...

What time is Harvey's party at?

K.E.N said...

Super bummer #1) Hives are awful.
Super bummer #2) I want to go to Harvey's party.

Hillary said...

We want you to go to the party too, Kari.