Tuesday, December 15
33 Years Ago!
On this day, 33 years ago, Bill and I got engaged! Here is the entry from my journal for that day: " I met Bill in town after work and we ate and went Christmas shopping. He'd brought his ring along because he was trying to decide if he should marry me or not. We got all the way to Shuback's window, but he just couldn't go in. So he took me back to my car. I took the ring and put it on and told him that I was going to wear it. We went to Marie Calendar's for a piece of pie and Jan Garr saw the ring and thought that we were engaged. I tried to convince her that we weren't, but I couldn't. So after she left, Bill said, "Do you want to be engaged?" And of course I said, "Yes." So he said, "All right, we're engaged." I thought he was kidding, but he came home with me and told Dad, Mildred and Loren that we were engaged. I'd almost let myself believe it except that he's just using it as a test to see if the Lord really wants us to get married or not. Judging from past experience, I don't think that Bill will be able to marry me, and it will be called off." Not very romantic and I was obviously skeptical about the whole thing, but he went through with it and I've never been sorry he did!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
This was such a sweet post, Mom. Awww. Thanks for sharing.
For those interested, I FINALLY finished Grandma's stories. I'm trying to coordinate their sending with Terrie, but you should have at least an electronic version very soon! Yay!
Thanks for the story. Kurt and my engagement also lacked romantic appeal (he popped the question in front of his dorm building) but our marriage is rock solid so maybe there is something to say for the more pragmatic proposals. Or maybe Kurt is just a lot like his dad :-)
That was a really cute story Mom. I'm glad you included it. I had to laugh though because I could see you and Dad having that conversation. I don't blame you for being skeptical either. I'm so glad Dad went through it.
Charlie and I didn't have a romantic proposal either. We were sitting together watching the sun set over Lake Michigan (we had gone with Mom and Dad to a ward camp out in Muskegon) and Charlie turned to me and said, "Well, so do you want to get married?" Because I was pregnant we had just assumed we were getting married, but he hadn't officially asked me so he thought he should. Of course I said yes and the rest is history. I'd say our marriage is pretty rock solid too so I'd have to agree with Heather.
Post a Comment