Friday, April 10

For Jason

I went to the eye doctor on Wednesday and my dry eye syndrome is improving, yea. I had also had problems for a couple of days before that with my left eye weeping. He told me that I had (I'm sure I won't spell this correctly), a clogged puncta. He explained it like this; there is a gland in your eye that opens and contracts to suck the excess tears out, and sometimes it gets like a charlie horse in it and contracts so it can't suck out the tears. This makes the tears build up and then when you bend over or sneeze they spill out (hence the weeping). He put some kind of instrument in it and stretched it out, gave me some eye drops to use a couple of times a day, and I haven't had trouble with it since. I thought Jason would be interested, I'm not sure anyone else will be.

2 comments:

Jana said...

I'll make sure Jason sees this, but it's funny because I remember him telling me about the lab where he learned how to unclog punctas! He said it make him nervous to stick that needle (or whatever it was) down in there, but after a couple times, it wasn't so bad. Yay for eye doctors!

Jason said...

Sorry it took me awhile to comment. Thanks for sharing your eye adventures with me. I think it's funny that a common sign of dry eye is having an overflow of tears.
When we practiced dilating (or stretching out) the puncta, we also used a needle to inject the puncta with saline--that would be done if there is a blockage in the nasal canal (which also would keep your tears from draining). Like Jana said it was a little nerve racking holding a needle near someone's eye, but after doing it it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.