Thursday, August 28

Fun in St. Louis

Our little family went to St. Louis this week. We stayed Monday through Wednesday and had a great time! It is supposed to be one of the most family friendly cities in the nation, and we found that to be true. There are a lot of wonderful FREE things to do there!

Monday we went to the St. Louis Zoo. Kari, Eric and Noah drove down to spend the day with us. It was a WONDERFUL zoo, the best I've ever visited. It was so beautiful, each exhibit was very well done and (did I mention?) it was FREE.
Tuesday we went to the St. Louis Science Center Museum (also free) and spent the whole morning learning about architecture, bones, dinosaurs and space. This is us under the St. Louis Arch that we built with a few other visitors.Here is the arch. We walked underneath it during lunchtime on Tuesday and took more pictures, but this is a good one of it in its entirety. It is situated right on the riverfront in a small but beautiful park. I was pleasantly surprised by how many little parks are sprinkled throughout downtown St. Louis.

Tuesday afternoon we went to Anheuser-Busch headquarters and learned all about brewing Budweiser beer. For two non-drinkers and a baby, the tour honestly was a highlight of our trip. We met some of the famous Clydesdale horses (their stables are more elegant than most people can boast of their own houses) and got to see three historical buildings on their seven block property. The most interesting part for me was the packaging plant, it was amazing! They can run the entire packaging operation with only about five people. We were offered free drinks in the hospitality room, but had lemonade instead. It was a very interesting tour (also free!). Wednesday morning we visited Laumeier Sculpture Park (free free free). It was by far the best sculpture park I've ever been to. There were TONS AND TONS of sculptures. Some out in fields like the one pictured above (can you spot Jason's head in this picture?) and some in the woods surrounding. We didn't wear the right shoes and didn't have enough time to properly enjoy it all, but what we did see we LOVED. I wish this were near where I live. It was awesome.

This is Addie and I on a glass sculpture that also served as a bridge over a little creek.

Maybe we can buy this sculpture one day and put it outside of Jason's future practice.

After the sculpture park we went to The Magic House, supposedly one of the premier children's museums in the country. It was, alas, the only thing we did that was not free, however it was well worth the money! They had targeted areas for younger children (ages one to six years) and older children. There was plenty for Addie to do, and stuff to keep Jason and I entertained as well. Here is Addie "shopping" in the little supermarket.

Now this is what I call a truly unruly perm!

On the way home we stopped at Lambert's Cafe, in Sikeston, MO. Several people have recommended it to us, and it was an experience not to missed! The waiters walk around the dining room and holler at you to see if you want any "pass around" side dishes (fried ocra, macaroni and tomatoes, fried potatoes, etc). Their trademark, however, are the throwed rolls which are tossed from all over the dining room to the hungry customers. It was loud and crazy, but very very fun. Jason's piece of ham was larger than his head!


We would definitely recommend St. Louis. It was so fun, so inexpensive and we had a blast. It was a great way to end off this wonderful summer.

3 comments:

K.E.N said...

Thanks for all the tips of things to do that are free because I have a few friends who are 1st years and have never been to St. Louis and they want to visit and do some fun but inexpensive things. I'm glad you guys had such a blast! It was really nice seeing you again!

Hillary said...

That does sound like a very fun time. Maybe we'll have to try a tirp there too.

Did you also know that St. Louis was the 2nd on the list of the most dangerous cities to live in in the United States. Just thought I'd leave that little tid-bit. It was 2nd behind Detroit and then Flint was 3rd. What fun!

Heather said...

You should write for a travel company. I honestly have to say St. Louis was never even a blip on the map of places I want to see but now I'm thinking it sounds like a good place to stop in. How awesome to have such a fun, affordable trip. We aren't going anywhere this summer but that's mostly because I don't have any time off of work. Kurt's busy season starts next month so we won't be able to take any time off from now until April 15th. Maybe we'll get out and go somewhere then.