Thursday, April 17

We're true Memphians!

Jason, Addie and I have now been officially inducted as Memphians. Here's why:

Yes, Little Green was broken into the night before last. As you can see, they broke through the driver's side window with this heavy metal thing that looked like it was from an old building. They took the stereo and left the mess for me to clean up.

I filed a police report and then had the car towed to the shop. A lot of the blame is ours, she hasn't been working (again!) since the beginning of March and just sat in the parking lot while we procrastinated deciding if we should sell her, junk her, or fix and keep her. I'm sure they were checking her out and decided a useless old car with a decent stereo was an easy target (we had installed Jason's old one right before we moved out here). Oh well, it made us get up and do something with her. We're either going to fix and sell her or junk her, it all depends on how much her repairs would be this time. We're paying too much in insurance and we don't use her enough (Jason's in a carpool and only drives once per week) to make it worth our money. Anyhow, pretty cool, eh? I've never had anything burglarized before! Yay for Memphis!

12 comments:

Hillary said...

I feel bad for you guys. I know what I felt like when someone broke into our house. I hated that feeling. We had our garage broke into a couple of times too. Mostly I just was mad that someone would actually take from us; us who are probably even more poor than they; us who are the ones who have to pay for the damage and lost items but really can't afford to in the first place. I was pretty mad for a long time about it. You're not suppose to rob from the poor, it's from the rich, right? Anyway, I'm sorry for you guys. That sucks!

K.E.N said...

I'm not sure I would be celebrating...but I guess when you can't do anything about it really, then you might as well be positive. Did they take anything else? Like registration and insurance that they could use to steal your identity? So sad for Little Green. Good luck with the car!

Kurt said...

Being burgled is no fun (although the word burgled is pretty funny). I'm glad no one was hurt.

Too bad about Little Green. We just sold the old red Escort that Dad bought 37 years ago. (Okay, it was only a '97, so at most it was 11 years, but it sure has been around a long time.) So I guess all of the old family cars are starting to go. Too bad we don't still have that white Cavalier. That car's horn was awesome.

Jana said...

Oh no! I didn't even think about things they could have taken to steal our identity. I will have to double and triple check what we have! I'm not even sure what was in there in the first place. What is on a registration form? Should I report the break-in to the DMV or something? Our glove box was hanging open. Now I'm worried...

Mom said...

Dad says you should donate it to charity instead of just junking it. Although if you don't itemize deductions it wouldn't do you any good, but it would help the charity.

Jana said...

The mechanic we took her to (a guy in our ward) offered us $500 for her, so we took his offer. To sell her we would have had to fix her window and put in a stereo, which would cost about $300 anyway, and I don't think we could have made much more off her in the end. We decided to save us all that hassle and just sell her to him. At least we can use that $500 towards my hospital bills! See? Little Green was always to my rescue, even in her death.

Hillary said...

I'd say $500 was a good deal. Good thing you took it. I don't know that you need to report the break in to the DMV but you might need to make a police report if you plan on claiming it on your insurance. If you are that worried about your credit, you can always wait a couple of weeks and then do the free credit check that many companies offer. Just google "free credit check" and I'm sure you'll find one. I'd wait a couple of weeks though to give the theives time to do something.

K.E.N said...

Oo...sorry, I didn't want to worry you, but in the picture I could tell the glove box was open and I know identity theft is rampant these days and how awful would it be if they ruined your guys credit. I'm not sure what's on the registration...let me take a look at mine and I'll get back to you.

K.E.N said...

Let me see...if yours was anything like mine then it has your name and address, the VIN # and License plate # and the information about the vehicle. And if they took your insurance card and it looks anything like mine then it also has your address on it and the insurance policy #.

I would watch your credit, like Hillary said. I would also call your insurance and cancel your car right away-or flag them that someone has the policy #. And to be safe, I would probably call the DMV and tell them what happened and what they suggest you do.

I am glad you were able to sell little green. And Kurt, how much did you get for the red car? It has been around forever.

Heather said...

Be careful not to check your credit score too often as that actually lowers your score. I'm pretty sure our mortgage insurance rate was a little higher because we had a bunch of people run our credit.

Too bad about Little Green. That car climbed all the way up Mt. Nebo and back so I will be forever grateful. Hope you guys can find something else to replace it.

Heather said...

Ok, never mind. Kurt just told me that the credit reporting agencies don't count towards your credit score. But it is something to keep in mind down the line.

Jana said...

Yeah, I've heard about the credit checking. From what I understand you can check it once with each of the 3 major companies every year without it doing anything to your credit.

We aren't going to look for a replacement car for some time. We've been fine having just one car nearly all winter while Little Green's been in and out the shop. We'll probably have to get one during Jason's third year when he has crazy hours at the eye clinic. Oh well, at least we'll be saving on car insurance!