Tuesday, April 1
Our family challenge
So during fast and testimony meeting on Sunday a woman from the ward got up and bore her testimony about how her family had unplugged their TV for 4 weeks. They got the idea from an article in the ensign a couple of months ago. She talked about how different her kids acted toward one another and how much better they got along. She figured it was because they actually had to do things together to entertain themselves. She loved the ways she found to fill her time up, mostly being with her kids more and doing things with them. So Merrit turned to me and said maybe we should try that. So Charlie and I talked about it and introduced the idea at FHE lastnight. We decided to start today and go to the end of the month. Alexis complained the loudest and said there is nothing to do around her if we turn the TV off. So Charlie has turned our challenge into a scientific experiment: to prove or disprove Lexi's statement. We'll let you know how it goes. I think it may just be the hardest on me. I like to turn the TV on at night to decompress after the day. I guess maybe I just might start to read more (which is not me).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Good for you guys! With the writer's strike and our Tivo being broken Kurt and I don't really watch much TV. We do like "John and Kate plus Eight" on TLC which is a show about a couple who has twins and sextuplets. We make it our John and Kate Date and snuggle up on the couch. Other than that it is just Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy while we make dinner. It has been really nice. We get more time to talk and play with Harvey. More chores get done in the evening than usual and I get prepped for the next day's lunch, dinner, and outfits. I wish you guys good luck without the boob tube. My grandma used to say, "If you're bored, then you're boring." Always made us think twice about complaining we couldn't find anything to do.
April Fools!
Right? Right..?
No, not April Fools, although I'm sure there will points this month that I wish it were an april fools joke.
Thanks for the grandma saying, Heather. That is such a good point.
I did a TV fast several months ago (mine was only for a week, and it was only for daytime TV) but I found that it did make a big difference in my day as well. I was MUCH more productive and hated it less here. Haha. I decided that I would go back to watching The Price is Right and that was all. Well, it has slowly creeped back up to quite a bit of time, and I told Jason for our FHE that I was going to cut back again. I think it's time I had another TV fast!
I wish you luck. It's hard, but really will make a difference.
Post a Comment