Friday, March 7

Hutchinson mafia, anyone?

Jason and I have loved playing online mafia via a blog with his brothers, sister, and cousin. It finished a couple weeks ago, and I think it would be fun to try and play with our family. I believe I could even get Sarah Lester and possibly some other cousins and aunts and uncles if there is enough interest. It would be a fun way to stay in touch. Let me know if y'all would like to play and I'll gladly set it up.

It's just like the regular mafia game where you sit in a circle and randomly choose who is mafia and who is the detective. The rest of the people are townspeople. Mom and Dad are probably not familiar with this game, but read on. I would be the blog moderator (at least for the first game because I know how to play it) and would randomly choose the roles from whomever is playing-- two mafia members (who conspire together to kill off townspeople one by one), a detective (who gets to find out member roles), and a doctor (who can, with a little luck, "save" the townspeople from being killed). The townspeople then try to figure out who the mafia is and vote them off. If the game ends with mafia, they win, if the townspeople figure out who the mafia is, the town wins. It's like being in a mystery novel. Mom, you'll love it!

Anyhow, that's a brief summary. All communication about the game is done on the blog using the comments. You can check out our old game at www.hairmafia.blogspot.com to get a feel for how it went. (There was one post that had over 200 comments. That is NOT normal, it usually does not take up that much time, Jason's brothers were just bored and sat on there all day.) It's a lot of fun and I think we'd all really enjoy it. You just have to be able to check the blog at least once a day to see what everyone thinks, but most of us check this blog that often anyway. We'd have to have at least 10 people, so if we got everyone (including Jim) and their spouses, that would be enough, but like I said, if we get enough interest in our family alone, I would love to invite some cousins and aunts and uncles. Let me know what you think! I was thinking of starting the game in about a week.

5 comments:

Hillary said...

I'm game. It sounds fun. I just hope I can figure out what I'm doing. I'm sure I can get Charlie to play too.

Heather said...

Sounds fun to me. Is it something that would be held up if someone took awhile to post. I'm not sure what my schedule is going to be like and I'd hate to hold up the game.

Jana said...

It really doesn't take too much time, and the only way it would get held up is if you had a role and didn't do your role. We purprosely make each "day" 48 hours so everyone has time to get their say in, and each "night" is 12 hours to give the people with roles long enough to simply send me one email with who they want to kill, save, or find out about. It will make more sense once I explain the rules in more detail, it's really really easy.

K.E.N said...

I went through and read your game with the Hairs and it seemed intense. I started reading their comments and they were serious about this game-some of those comments were like novels. I just asked Eric and he said that he would be for it and I think it would be a blast. One question: what about communication with your spouse? Would I be allowed to talk to Eric about the game?...I guess if I were mafia I could sway his vote-tricky. I'M SUPER EXCITED! It would give me something to look forward to.

Mom said...

I have no idea what it is, but I'll give a try.