Little Green is standing on her last legs and it's so sad to see her struggle. Addie and I were on our way home yesterday and I started to smell something funny--pepperoni pizza, I kid you not--coming from our engine. A few minutes later Little Green started going slower and slower, so I finally pulled onto a side-street and could barely turn the steering wheel. I parked her off the side of the road, and she wouldn't start back up. It was so sad. I called my friend (I was SO THANKFUL to have cell phone, it would have been horrible to be stuck with Addie without one) and she sent someone to pick me up.
The whole situation wasn't annoying or frustrating, just sad, because I knew this would probably be the last straw. Once fixed, we're probably going to sell her. Her upkeep is costing more than she's worth, and we'll be fine with one car for now. Jason is in a carpool and usually drives to school once a week, at the most twice, so it wouldn't be so bad. It's funny to have an emotional attachment to Little Green, but I do. She's been with me since I was 16 and I will miss her. Alas, it's time to move on...
4 comments:
It sounds like it's a timing belt. Those are actually normal maintenance type things. I can understand not wanting to keep fixing the car. I probably wouldn't either. I'm rather attatched to our minivan. I know that once we can't afford to fix it any more we'll have to go to a full size van for space. They just don't make minivans as spacious as they used to.
There are a lot of good times in that little car...I remember singing Christmas carols in the valleys going to Manti because the CD player didn't work. Good times. I felt the same way after I got in my wreck and gave my boat car away to charity. Would you eventually get another car, do you think?
We hope it's not the timing belt, we just replaced that fairly recently. That's the problem, it's been one major thing after another. Sigh...
It is amazing how blessed our family has been over the years with the Escorts we bought. Hillary and Charlies drove my first red one at least 100,000 miles (after I put on the first 106,000); Jana drove little green many many miles and Kurt is still driving (although probably on its last breath) my second red Escort. I think it already has over 200,000 miles. We ought to have our story published in a Ford propaganda magazine. Funny how Kari is the only one of the family (and Jim will be the second) who didn't inherit an Escort of some variety. But then again, her boat worked well until it took on a construction trailer. Hear, hear for Escorts!! (Of course, Ford discontinued them, like they have other cars that worked well and everyone liked.)
Post a Comment