I had the first visit from my visiting teachers yesterday. They are a mother/ daughter team and are very nice. The family has 7 kids. They had five and then got pregnant with twins. I don't know if it was an "oops" but can you imagine if it was? What an "oops" to have!
They informed me that we live in an area known to the locals as Rubberville. I guess there used to be a factory close to here that was the Rubberville factory. This neighborhood was where all the workers at the factory lived. The factory isn't there any more, but this neighborhood still remains a pretty cheap place to rent. This, we all know, doesn't attract the most cream of the crop bunch of people. We already knew we weren't in the best part of town, but my visiting teachers confirmed that to me. What's sad is that this neighborhood isn't as bad as a lot of the neighborhoods in Flint. I'd actually compare this one to the one that was just a few blocks over from our house in Flint. Not really life threatening, but not really a place I'd like my kids to get to know people in. We are facing that right now in this neighborhood. Our kids are getting to know the local kids and wanting to go over to their houses and stuff. It's hard for me to know how far to let them go. I really want to keep them safe, but not over-protected and sheltered. I just pray hard that Heavenly Father will keep them safe.
2 comments:
That's too bad about the neighborhood but at least the duplex is just a transition home for you. Were any of the homes you looked at in Rubberville? Sounds like your visiting teachers might be able to give you the scoop on some of the other neighborhoods you're looking into.
My Grandma didn't live in a very nice neighborhood and only now can I appreciate how hard it must have been for them to let me play with kids who's parents they knew were dealing or worse. My Grandma's rule was that we all had to come play in her yard so she could keep an eye on us. I hated that but I'm grateful now.
Yes, I like your grandma, am trying to encourage my kids to invite their friends to our house too. It's hard though when Merrit's friend keeps inviting him to go to places with him and his mom. I'd really like to say yes, buy I don't want Merrit to be ostrisized either. It's a difficult balancing act. I hope I can get the hang of it.
I did ask my visiting teachers about other areas in the city and they were helpful. I've also tried to ask other people at church too. Our realtor is from the neighboring city so he really doesn't know the ins and outs of Racine. That frustrates me a little.
Post a Comment