I wasn't able to fall asleep a couple nights ago, and my mind started wandering. You know how that goes. Well, it occurred to me how fortunate we are to have parents that are still together and still quite happy in their marriage. As I've been thinking about it the last couple days, I feel compelled to write about my thoughts. In fact, now that I think about it, all of the in-laws' parents are still married, too. Charlie's, Heather's, Jason's, and
Eric's parents are all still married as well. Considering current statistics (which seem to fluctuate every time I hear them reported) our family is beating the odds!
As Jason and I have started raising Adelyn, we've been faced with so many obstacles. Our opinions differ on some parenting practices, we're much more strapped for money, and he's started at a new school. All this just within the last 3 months! These added stresses have tested our committment to each other in ways we've never experienced before. Now, add 20+ years to those experiences. That's what Mom and Dad have gone through, and their love for each other is still just as strong, if not stronger. I can't imagine the many trials they've had, yet they've made it this far. I really look up to them and am fortunate I can model my marriage, in many ways, from them.
I just wanted to share these thoughts with all of you, but especially to Mom and Dad. I appreciate the love you have for one another, and that you're not afraid to show it. Thanks for showing me how important it is to focus first on the marriage, and second on the kids. (I could have done without the kissing in the kitchen, though!)
Eric's parents are all still married as well. Considering current statistics (which seem to fluctuate every time I hear them reported) our family is beating the odds!As Jason and I have started raising Adelyn, we've been faced with so many obstacles. Our opinions differ on some parenting practices, we're much more strapped for money, and he's started at a new school. All this just within the last 3 months! These added stresses have tested our committment to each other in ways we've never experienced before. Now, add 20+ years to those experiences. That's what Mom and Dad have gone through, and their love for each other is still just as strong, if not stronger. I can't imagine the many trials they've had, yet they've made it this far. I really look up to them and am fortunate I can model my marriage, in many ways, from them.
I just wanted to share these thoughts with all of you, but especially to Mom and Dad. I appreciate the love you have for one another, and that you're not afraid to show it. Thanks for showing me how important it is to focus first on the marriage, and second on the kids. (I could have done without the kissing in the kitchen, though!)
3 comments:
Wow, Jana, that was deep and quite profound. You have a very good point though and I'm proud to be a part of this family as well. Charlie's sibblings haven't been as fortunate in their choices of spouses and I've had a first hand witness of how much a strong, happy marriage matters in the whole scheme of things. I'm so thankful that we have parents that are still married and very much still in love. I know many people who aren't as fortunate and they just have something missing in their lives. I also appreciate Charlie very much and the love he and I share. He is my best friend and I love him probably more now than I ever did.
Thanks for your comments, Jana. It was nice to reflect on them.
First of all, Jana is right that the kissing in the kitchen was a bit excessive ;) but great because it showed us all that being loving with your spouse is okay. I have also noticed this with Eric's parents. They still kiss and hold hands and cuddle just like ours and I'm glad that Eric was raised that way. I hope to raise our children that way. And I'm glad that you were thinking about that because now we are all thinking about that and appreciating more what mom and dad went through and sacraficed for us, but also for themselves. What a great example they have been. And it is cool to see that we are "beating the odds."
Thanks for all of your warm comments. We have truly been blessed with wonderful children (and now grandchildren with others on the way) and wonderful spouses for those married. We are very proud of all of you and love you all very much.
Post a Comment