Monday, October 30

Pumpkins!

After hearing that Mom, Dad, and Jim would be carving pumpkins for family home evening, Heather and I decided to let our creative juices flow, as well. Our first obstacle was finding the pumpkins. Most grocery stores didn't have any; we think because the frost we got a few days in a row may have ruined the pumpkins that stores were keeping outside.

We finally found them on sale for only 25 cents each! The pickings were a bit slim, but we found a couple good ones and brought them home. After scooping them out and setting the seeds out to dry, we got to it. We decided to try the scraping method instead of actually cutting the shapes out, because we've seen some pretty cool pumpkins online that were done just by carving deep grooves into the skin. Here's how they turned out.



And here's a few shots with candles in and the lights off. We think they look sweet.


Click on the pictures to see them bigger!

5 comments:

Jana said...

Wow, those look awesome. I like that they glow red. Jason and I didn't carve pumpkins this year, we painted ours to avoid them getting mushy the longer they sat out. It was pretty fun, but I definitely like carving more!

Jana said...

Haha, I didn't even see the dangling spider until I looked at the pictures bigger...a hidden surprise...

Dad said...

We have lost the ability to view pictures. Any idea why or how we can get it back?

Hillary said...

Wow, you guys did an awesome job. I haven't ever tried to scrape the skin off. I'll have to try that next year. Unfortunately, I don't have any pumpkins to add to the blog. Our family usually paints pumpkins for family home evening a couple weeks before Halloween. With Charlie gone during the week, we've moved family home evening to Sunday night instead, and this year our weekends were so booked that it just didn't happen. My kids did mention it, but didn't seem too overly sad that we missed out this year. We'll just have to make it up to them next year.

Dad said...

Those are really cool; well worth going to the libray to view them.